Thursday, January 25, 2018

A reality by any other name still won't be the real thing

Image found at: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a2/29/eb/a229eb04f665ed1b5e73dd4c07bd8d1d.jpg
It is an image of Markus Zusak's The Book Thief.

     "All reality is constructed through language," (Barry 37) is an idea discussed in the reading that I've had some trouble with. I agree with the sentiment that we understand our reality through language, and the lens through which we see most things converts itself into words; however, I don't agree that "all reality" is made of language. By this I mean that a dog may see the same tree as I do, and I recognize it's tree-ness by converting that into a word in my head, but the dog has only an image. I don't think that makes the tree any less real because the dog does not have language for it. Additionally, I could hear a mysterious sound and not know what it is, but the fact that I do not have a word for it does not mean there was no sound. If there is an island I have never seen, one that has never been written about, it is still real; it is a tangible part of the world. By definition, reality is "the world or the state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them" (Dictionary.com). I believe that words will always fall just shy of reality, we can get closer and closer  to it but never quite get there.

Image found at: https://4thwavenow.com/author/4thwavenow/
It is a visualization of an excerpt of Adrienne Rich's "Diving into the Wreck".
The full poem can be found at https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/diving-wreck.

No comments:

Post a Comment