Thursday, March 22, 2018

Looking at Marxism from a different “Engle”

I bet you all are expecting a rant... well...

Not today actually. Today I just have a regular old quote.

Normally I like to venture outside the text for my quote, but I found one in the reading that I very much liked. It also happens to be the longest sentence I have ever read.

“Their ideas included the need for close formal analysis of literature (hence the name) the belief that the language of literature has its own characteristic procedures and effects, and is not just a version of ordinary language, Shkolovsky’s idea of “defamiliarization” or “making strange” expounded in the essay orchestra clinic, (which Lemon and Ries reprint)  which cream is that one of the chief efforts of literary language is that of making the familiar world appear new to us, as if we are seeing it for the first time, and thus laid it open to reprisal” (Barry 164).


 

No comments:

Post a Comment