Thursday, April 26, 2018

♫ Don't wanna rule the world, just wanna run my life ♫

(I couldn't get Janet Jackson's Control out of my head while writing this, sorry for long title.)
((the worst part is it's not even the Janet Jackson version in my head, it's the Glee version.)

 From Culler, the quote/question that stood out to me most was "The question of the subject is 'what am "I"?' Am I made what I am by circumstances? What is the relation between the individuality of the individual and my identity as member of a group? And to what extent is the 'I' that I am, the 'subject', an agent who makes choices rather than has choices imposed on him or her?"

This quote immediately made me think of the little exercise we did in class where we wrote down things that we are. The part of this quote that caught my attention the most was the last part, about how many decisions we make on our own rather than have decisions forced on us. My personal opinion is that we give ourselves the illusion of being in control most of the time, that's what we want to think, but how in control are we actually of our own choices and, in turn, our identities?

Me being fine and totally in control of my life
https://newrepublic.com/minutes/140844/air-pollution-doesnt-kill-people-revelations-conservative-political-action-conference

No comments:

Post a Comment