Thursday, February 22, 2018

Boundaries equal freedom

Hello classmates, Kamryn, Maddie, Abby, Tim, Alex, Meredith, Savanna, Layla and Natalie.

I hope that will be able to have class without my presence. I know you all miss me dearly, and I understand there may be bitter weeping and gnashing of teeth in my absence, but fear not, I will return next week.

Just kidding. I suck. Lol. Bet y'all didn't even notice I was missing. Hahaha (*fake laughing to hide real pain).

But for real, what a great workshop on Structuralism. The breaking down of Shakespeare's Sonnet 73 we did in class kinda blew my mind. Understanding the mechanisms a text uses to convey meaning (for me at least in the texts we broke down in class), helped me not only see how a text like Sonnet 73 conveyed its meaning, but also helped me understand even more clearly what it was saying.

We talked a lot about how language as a system has limitations, and that all literature must operate within that system.

At first I thought to myself that having a system we must operate within limits what one can say, but upon a little further digestion I think it is quite the opposite. Because once we understand the system language, literature and words operate within, the more freedom we have to be creative with it inside of its boundaries.   



I think this quote from Albert Einstein can be applied to language as a system. The "Rules of the game" is our understanding of language, and "Playing" is how we express ourselves through language.





No comments:

Post a Comment