Thursday, February 22, 2018

This being the first entry of Alex's Star Wars Literature Meme Archive


This is so cringey and wonderful. Shoutout to my fellow prequel memers
I made this myself but original source: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/what-about-the-droid-attack-on-the-wookiees

I've never been an avid reader of poetry. I guess I would limit my reading of a poem to "wow, that sounds lyrical" or "wow, this poet has a fine grasp of language and the written word: congratulations, poet". Yet recently I realized I was doing it incorrectly—a newfound appreciation developed not because of simply reading and sitting with poems, but because of intensely studying them. When a poem can withstand thorough dissection, it becomes that much more potent.

As we observed the intricate systems that comprise Sonnet 73, the piece developed from one of pretty sentiment to one of thorough, complex love; my experience scrutinizing numerous poems in Dr. Dodman's Victorian Lit class last semester elevated those pieces as well.

For now, I can only conclude that a poem mandates, if not a total, an immediate structuralist approach to its reading. Such an approach simultaneously illuminates obscure language, offers previously unseen depth and complexity, and highlights the author's efforts to capture those intangible "ghosts" (as Calvino terms) with which humanity has always grappled; that struggle itself is poetic, and enhances the experience in a way improbable without structuralism.

No comments:

Post a Comment